Beaches and Brews - Visit Sunshine Coast
Got a thirst for the Sunshine Coast?
Beervana is over for another year and you may be wondering just what to do with yourself. We got you. Australia’s Sunshine Coast is our pick for a post-Beervana vacay in the sun with a few festival favourites.
Stretching for more than 60kms along the Queensland coast, the Sunshine Coast is best known for its subtropical climate, white sand beaches, and Heritage-listed national parks.
But if the chart-topping brews and sold-out signs at Beervana are anything to go by, we think you’ll agree that the Sunshine Coast has much more to offer than just… sunshine.
Australia’s Craft Beer Capital, the region is home to three breweries that made the trip across the ditch for the first time in 2023: Moffat Beach Brewing Co, Brouhaha, and Blackflag Brewing Company. They’ve vowed to return with more beer in 2024, but in the meantime, you’ll have to visit their brewpubs for a taste of sunshine.
Where to go:
Moffat Beach Brewing Co.: Australia’s most awarded brewery is the perfect spot to enjoy a great beer, delicious meal, and live music ‘between the tanks’, while watching the waves, and the world, go by.
Brouhaha: Demand for its award-winning brews has seen Brouhaha expand from Maleny in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland to a second location in Baringa. Brouhaha use local suppliers in their restaurant, including working with a Wagyu farmer to send leftover grains to feed the cattle, which in turn they buy back and use nose to tail in the brewery kitchen.
Blackflag Brewing Co.: Located down a hidden alleyway in Mooloolaba, Blackflag’s punk-themed brewery is decked out with skateboards and graffiti covered walls. Run by a collective of self-described misfits, Blackflag is all about bringing good beer to the masses and having a damn good time while doing it.
How to get around:
Visit Sunshine Coast has created a Craft Beer Capital Brewery Trail to help you plan your trip. Download the map here or check out locations of more than 21 breweries on the Sunshine Coast on Google Maps here.
Want someone else to do the driving? Sunshine Coast Craft Beer Tours will get you behind the scenes tour of working brewery to meet the brewer and taste locally crafted beers and cider.
Beyond the beers:
You’ll be spoiled for choice with things to do in the Sunshine Coast.:
- Beach swims, obviously: from secluded reserves to bustling tourist hotspots, the Sunshine Coast has a beach for every kind of traveller.
- Walk up a sweat: explore this natural paradise on foot on one of the Sunshine Coast's walks
- Ride the frothy waves: Noosa is the perfect for both beginner and advanced surfers.
- Kayak the Noosa Everglades: one of only two everglades on the planet, these mirror-like waterways are fringed by tea tree forests.
- Visit Australia Zoo: located in Beerwah(!), Steve Irwin’s iconic Australia Zoo offers up-close animal encounters as well as lessons in conservation.
- Shop local - Eumundi Markets is Australia’s largest outdoor market teeming with an eclectic mix of local artisans.
For more information about the Sunshine Coast, visit: www.visitsunshinecoast.com